there are not enough good or talented enough athletes to play soccer in the lpd
I've had the chance to catch a couple of GC soccer matches (boys and girls) this year. Actually makes for a good spectator sport. But the field is suffering - looks like it did after the GC-Appy huricane mud bowl a fews years back (recall Appy won). Best of all this new-to-us sport offers a great opportunity to develop an even 'higher' level of obnoxious adult high school sports fan. You can check out the game schedules over on the CMD board.
there are not enough good or talented enough athletes to play soccer in the lpd
I think soccer may come along with consolidation myself.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
The GC teams have improved tremendously in part because of the demands of competitive play. They have a good coach...but it still took courage to be the first ones out there. I hope the economic/budget crunch doesn't have an adverse affect for next year. In Wise County, soccer could be one way to give some playing time back to the kids that will otherwise be impacted by consolidation.
I remember back in the early seventies, that most everyone thought that girls basketball was just a passing "fad" in the lpd, maybe the same thing can be said about soccer in the lpd in the future sometime
I enjoy soccer as a spectator sport more than the other standards (American football, baseball, etc.). Each sport has its own set of necessary skills and soccer is no exception.
Students who may not be all that interested in the usual sports in the LPD may be interested in soccer. (e.g. I recall when softball was introduced - girls who played no other sport like tennis, basketball, or track were eager to sign up for softball).
It's fun to watch - fast paced.
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
Should be plenty of students available for soccer, as soon as band season is over.
Exactly, it could be a good thing in this area. Lack of talent isn't the problem, just lack of interest and seriousness. Its a pretty fun game to play/watch and you have to be VERY conditioned to play. It won't be a huge sport here, but i'd like to see it around more...problem is finding coaches that would actually give a damn and know what they're doing.
GC won the Huricane Zack Bowl. Nick was subbing by the end of the first. Appy had two seniors and one of them was hurt, freshman qb making his first start.
Hate to see Nick quit, class act. Tobe and Quincy offered to buy me a GC hotdog, but I was just to wired and wet. Still, friendly folks. Always felt at home at GC's field.
Appy won there two years later, but I can't recall if it was a hurricane that brought on the rain.
We'll keep the lights on for you.
Spuds
Bookmarks